Home Education Accused of shooting at Buffalo was investigated for threatening his school

Accused of shooting at Buffalo was investigated for threatening his school

56
0
Accused of shooting at Buffalo was investigated for threatening his school

A white armed man accused of committing a racist massacre at a Buffalo supermarket made threatening comments that led police to his high school last spring, but he was never charged with the crime and no longer contacted law enforcement after his release from the hospital, officials said.

The revelation has raised questions about whether his meeting with police and the mental health system is another lost opportunity to put a potential shooter under close surveillance by law enforcement, get him help or make sure he doesn’t have access to deadly firearms.

Authorities say they are investigating the attack on predominantly black buyers and workers on the Tops Friendly Market as a potential federal hate crime or an act of internal terrorism. Saturday’s mass violence in Buffalo became the deadliest of the wave of fatal shootings, including in California Church and a Texas flea market.

An 18-year-old accused gunman drove about 200 miles (320 kilometers) from his home in Canclin, New York, to Buffalo to carry out the attack, police said.

Federal authorities are still working to verify the authenticity of a racist 180-page document allegedly written by a suspect alleging that the attack was designed to terrorize all non-white, non-Christian people and force them to leave the country.

Law enforcement said on Sunday that in June last year, New York State Police officers were called to the suspect’s high school to report that the then 17-year-old had made threatening statements.

The suspect threatened to shoot at Susquehanna Valley High School in Canclin before graduation, a law enforcement spokesman said on condition of anonymity. The official had no right to speak publicly about the investigation.

Buffalo Police Commissioner Joseph Gramaglia said the suspect no longer had contact with law enforcement after a mental health examination that placed him in hospital for a day and a half.

“No one called,” he said. “No one has complained,” Gramalia said. According to him, the threat was “general” and not related to race.

New York is one of the few states that have passed laws on the “red flag”. in recent years, which have aimed to try to prevent mass shootings committed by people who show signs that they may pose a threat to themselves or others.

These laws allow law enforcement officers, a person’s family, and in some cases health workers or school officials to apply to the court for a temporary confiscation of firearms or a ban on the acquisition of weapons.

Federal law prohibits people from owning a weapon if a judge determines that they have a “mental defect” or have been forced to stay in a psychiatric facility, but an assessment alone will not result in a ban.

It is unclear whether officials could refer to the “red flag” regulations after the high school incident. Police and prosecutors did not provide details of the incident and did not report when the accused gunman purchased a weapon used in the assault.

The long list of mass shootings in the US related to the lost opportunity to intervene includes 2018 massacre of 17 students at a high school in Parkland, Florida, where law enforcement officials received numerous complaints about threatening statements by gunmen and the killing of more than two dozen people at a 2017 Texas church by a former U.S. Air Force serviceman who was able to buy a gun despite the violent story.

The victims of Saturday’s attack Buffalo included an 86-year-old woman who had just visited her husband at a nursing home, a man who buys a cake for his grandson, a church deacon who helps people return home with groceries, and a supermarket security guard.

The shooter conducted a live broadcast of the attack on Twitch, encouraging the study of how quickly social platforms respond to videos with violence.

President Joe Biden planned to visit Buffalo on Tuesday.

The suspect surrendered to police who confronted him in the lobby of the supermarket. He was convicted of murder later Saturday. Relatives did not respond to the message.

A lengthy statement circulating on the Internet attributed to the suspect outlines a racist ideology based on the belief that the United States should belong only to white people.

Parts of a Twitch video circulating on the Internet show that an armed man killed several shoppers in less than a minute. At one point he aimed his weapon at a white man who bent down behind a slant, but said, “I’m sorry!” and does not shoot. The screenshots, presumably from the broadcast, apparently show a racial insult aimed at black people smeared on his rifle.

Authorities said he shot 11 blacks and two whites.

“This man came here with the clear aim of taking as many black lives as possible,” Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown said Sunday.

Source link

Previous articleThe Grove City College Board is adopting a report on the fight against CRT
Next articleHelping children feel good