Innovations in the textile and fabric industry revolutionized the production of clothing, home and technical textiles. Design registration is a type of intellectual property protection in which a newly created design applied to a product created in an industrial process can be protected from counterfeiting.
There can be no doubt about the enormous value of intellectual capital in the textile and fabric industry. However, many small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in the industry pay little attention to protecting their intellectual assets. In today’s business environment, the primary source of competitive advantage for all businesses is innovation and original creative expression.
Business leaders need to identify such valuable intangible assets in a timely manner, determine their business significance and the importance of textile design registration, and conduct a cost-benefit analysis to determine which ones should be protected and used with intellectual property (IP) tools.
In most countries, a design must be registered to receive protection under design law. To register an industrial design, it is necessary to submit an application to the national intellectual property office of the country where protection is granted.
Why is design registration important?
Below are some important benefits that applicants get when registering a design:
- This adds commercial value to the product and increases its marketability.
- Exclusive right against infringement or copying by unauthorized persons.
- A registered design is an intangible asset of the company that has a market value.
- If the product is fashionable, the appearance of the product is as important as its functionality, so immunity can only be secured by registering the design on it.
- In the event of a breach, we may seek monetary compensation for loss of sales or damage to market goodwill.
- By simply registering, the owner can produce more products from it without worrying about competition and loss of profits as it is properly protected.
- One of the advantages of an industrial design is that it can be sold or licensed on the market, and its creator can earn royalties on each sale.
- A reputation built in the market that will carry you indefinitely as long as sufficient design reputation is maintained.
- Design rights are protectable at a relatively low cost and verification is simple and quick, meaning it works well for companies that are constantly developing new products that require protection.
Need IPR support?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org