Where is my amended return? is an online tool you can use to check the status of your amended tax return, such as Form 1040-X, which is required to amend or revise Form 1040, 1040-A, 1040-EZ, 1040-NR, or 1040-NR EZ . This post is intended to explain some common problems associated with using this online tool.
When will you be able to view your Form 1040-X using the online tool?
You can check the status of your amended tax form 1040x with Where is my amended return? online tool only 3 weeks after the date of filing or sending the amended return to the IRS. If you are interested to know”is the tax service for processing amended returns“, you can enter the modified refund tool, but as a general rule, you have to wait another 16 weeks because the IRS usually takes that long to process your tax return electronically. Calling the IRS phone number may not be very helpful earlier than 16 weeks if you want to know about a processed amended return or if a tax refund has been processed under an amended return.
If you have a question like ” I did not receive an amended tax refund ”, you must log in to the online tool where my amended return is located. If you find that your Form 1040-X is not being processed even after the usual 16 weeks, then one of the following reasons must be to blame for the delay in processing your amended return.
- Form 1040-X was filed with errors or was filed incompletely
- Did you check that the amended return was filed after you put your signature in the correct place? The IRS will not process an amended return unless it is signed and mailed.
- Your amended return is returned to you by the IRS with a request for additional information.
- Includes a Form 8379Distribution of injured husband
- It will also take longer than usual to process your 1040-X if the IRS system detects that it has been affected by identity theft or fraud.
- If your amended declaration needs to be sent to a specialized area
- If your tax return requires an IRS bankruptcy filing.
- requires review and approval by the tax inspectorate due to the different designations the systems make when they start processing.
- Your amended return requires an appeal or a requested review of the IRS decision.
The IRS online tool for amended returns is very useful, but it has limitations on the amount of information you would like to verify but cannot verify with Where is my amended return eg:
- If you are trying to find your refund applications and claims or the injured spouse’s claim
- If you filed a Form 1040 as an amended or corrected return instead of the correct form to amend your Form 1040, ie. form 1040X
- If you filed an amended 1040-X return with a foreign address, you may not be able to find the information.
- This tool does not show your business tax return.
- You cannot find the tax refund status of your current Form 1040 tax return using this tool. Read it 3 easy ways to find out about your refund
You can track the status of amended returns through the online tool Where’s My Amended Return? for in the current year and up to three previous years.
To log in to the online where’s my modified return tool, you must have certain information, such as your social security number, date of birth, and zip code for your address. If you don’t have them, don’t start because the system will require them for the authentication process. After logging in correctly Where is my amended tax return The web tool displays the status of your amended return through the processing steps: Received, corrected, or completed.