What does work-life balance look like for you?
I decided to pause for a moment to consider work-life balance and perhaps approach the topic from a different perspective.
Here are a few that immediately came to mind when I was asked to name the ten best moments of my life:
- When I first met Karin, my wife
- When Karin and I got married
- When Dan, my son, was born
- When my daughter Jessica was born
- When Lucy, my second daughter, was born
- Winning the Headingley Trophy in rugby league when I was 10
- Safari in South Africa with Caryn, Dan, Jess and Lucy
- I was given a degree in mathematics
- Listen to Dan sing at Caryn’s 50th birthday
- Clothes shopping with Jessica and Lucy in Luca
I think I could go on for a long time before I actually come up with something work-related.
Sure, I’ve worked on some great projects, achieved great results, and received great presentation feedback, but none of them come close to any of the points listed above, or any of the others I can think of in the top 50.
So, in terms of work-life balance, all my best moments come from living.
Maybe we should all do this little exercise and then think about how to better manage our work-life balance.
If all of our most precious moments come from life instead of work, maybe we need to focus.
Just a thought.
If you want to learn more about building highly engaged teams or being a better leader click on the link to make an appointment to talk about how I can help.